Testing rendering times | Blender

I decided to test out how long it would take to render out the sequence that Jon and I worked on (see previous post). I used all the settings that Jon recommended to get a quicker render time on my Macbook.

In the end my 4 seconds of composited footage took over 2 hours to render using my Macbook. I am very glad I did this test as it makes it very clear that for next semester’s project especially I will need to use the powerful computers at the University to render my work. It isnt feasible to have my only computer spending days rendering something. I also feel that there is a higher risk of the render going wrong with my laptop, and would feel more confident using a computer built specifically to handle rendering.

Overall I am pretty happy with the way the render turned out however. Its only at this point can I really see how well I managed to matchmove earlier on in the process. Sure the numbers can tell me that I’ve got an error rating of under 2, but its only once you’ve seen your 3D object firmly stuck on the ground playing in real time footage that you see how well you’ve done. And I am pretty happy with the result.